Monday, February 02, 2004

Dukes of "As A"

1) The Superbowl:
While I've thrown off most of the authoritarian tendencies of my urban planning background, I still retain an abhorrence for the money we splurge on professional sports, stadiums and other trappings. Of all the things that cities could waste their money on.....And now they won't even let us see some boob.

2) As a (fill in the blank)
Read any letters to the editor section and you will see it everywhere. "As a mother of three, I think that income taxes should be increased." "As a white heterosexual, I think that Latinos should be called Hispanics"...etc.

In rare instances is the as-a phrase informative or even relevant. The author may believe that this device adds to his credibility, but it has the exact opposite effect: as-a suggests that his perspective is only valid because of his background and not because of any strength of reason or factual accuracy.

Alright, I'm no po-mo. I admit to being supremely uncool.

No comments: