Saturday, November 08, 2003

Former Iraq Captive Jessica Lynch: 'I'm No Hero'

Jessica Lynch refutes Army reports of her heroic combat against Iraqis. In her interview with Diane Sawyer, Lynch responds, "I'm not about to take credit for something that I didn't do... It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about. Only I would have been able to know that because the other four people on my vehicle aren't here to tell that story."

The Canadian and British media were the first to reveal that government reports about Private Jessica Lynch were beefed up. Although her soon-to-be-released biography written by NY Times Rick Bragg quotes a medical report that Lynch was raped, she has no memory of the event. Shoshanna Johnson, a black army private also taken captive in the war and was injured in combat, will receive less than half the percentage of disability benefits of Lynch.

No comments: